Tuesday 31 December 2013

Xmas on The Island

Diz at the window - The Steamer Inn, Shanklin

December was a busy month. Culminating in four days on The Island for Xmas. With all of life's challenges, there has been some genuinely lovely moments that make it worthwhile. Bright sunshine on a Christmas walk down the seafront at Ventnor was a highlight. As was clambering over fallen trees on a woodland path to discover the wares of the Luccombe Jam Man for sale. This is the sort of place where you can put stuff out for sale, with the box where you put your money to buy it, and nothing get nicked! 

In the meantime there's alot to keep us busy, more every year, seemingly. Little D's drunken stagger has become an 'I mean business strut' which gives me a chuckle every time I see it. She is talking and asking questions constantly which seem to frustrate some members of the family. Conversations tend to go something little like this.
D: Nada? (Xander?)
X: Yes?
D: Nada? (Xander?)
X: What is it Dizzy?
D: Nada? (Xander?)
X: What is it???!
D: Nada? (Xander?)

X had a lovely Xmas. He had a great time seeing his grandparents, but I feel the novelty is wearing off. He just wants to be left in peace I think. As for me?? Well I've been busy. It feels my job spec grows more complicated every year. Taxi Service? Ferrying my mother from Dorking to the Isle of Wight over the course of seven hours was not something I'm keen to repeat? Diplomat? Keeping the relatives and family from getting grumpy and remaining calm and neutral throughout - I've got that! Entertainer? As much as I love the peace and quiet the TV and my Ipad afford me, sometimes you gotta keep the kids engaged. 

Anyway, Happy New Year and all that. Diz is trying to climb into my lap now so I gotta find some Spongebob for us to watch (God Help Me!). 

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment