Sunday 23 February 2014

Patrick Randall 1977-2014





A dear friend passed away at the start of this month. I knew Patch for over 25 years and we shared many happy moments together. It's always hard to do the memory justice of someone you knew well when they pass away suddenly, it was the same with my friend The Claw in 2007. Patch's life was turbulent at times from early on but he always had a fundamentally kind and decent side which put some people to shame. I envied his skills and passions when I was old enough to appreciate them, the brewing, the skills he had with his hands. My fondest post teenage memory was spending a summery afternoon with tea and cake in his parents' garden. Patch showed me the greenhouse which he glazed personally and then went into proud rhapsodies about his home grown tomatoes.  He offered me the prized back yard seat and I marvelled at the marvels of warm sunshine, peace and quiet and a nice cup of tea and cake for the belly. Anyone who holds such values in as high regard as Patch will always have my respect.

I'll admit I didn't see enough of him in later years, screaming toddlers and questioning pre-pubescent tend to take the attention. However the guilt I do feel is for not doing more than sending the occasional text and email. We exchanged photos, discussed family and Patch seemed to radiate a certain content after moving out of Guildford. I was looking forward to extending an invitation to our house so we could spoil him. So the children could enjoy Uncle Patch and he could enjoy them. 

I wish I could be more erudite as I write this. All the usual truisms of an early death do not do justice to a truly lovely man. Those of us who are left can only look out for each other to the best of our ability and to share the good times we have. 

Anyway, I must return to the urgencies of daily life now. Little D demands my immediate attention as she distributes her play spoils all over the floor. 

A.

9 comments:

  1. I was so pleased to see this. A recognition of Patrick, to see his face in the picture.

    He was a good lad, my last memory is of his sudden appearance at Guildford Rail station.
    My Mum 97yrs & I just struggled out of a taxi with her wheel chair. Suddenly there was Patch like a Knight in shining armour offering assistance to our platform AND to push the wheel chair.

    Always seemed the same cheerful face masking maybe something he couldn't wouldn't say..Joyce XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. James & Lisa called round at No 21.

    They had been to a 40th birthday in the road of bro in law.
    It was good to connect & talk about old & new times.

    The garden & memories of you 4 brought tears. RIP patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it took me so long to see this. Patch was a truly kind man who wore his heart on his sleeve. A little too much perhaps. We move soon and I often think how much he'd love life by the sea... Our house will be open for a visit from you and Mark by the way.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading Alex's blog, and Joyce's comments has touched us deeply. We feel that Patrick's death was shouldn't have happened, and was something that happened to him rather than something he did. He had problems, but was happier than he had been for a long time.
    That he is so fondly remembered is enormously consoling for us. Thankyou.
    Clare & Clive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to this But do not get that much information also I found some legit information about PayPal gift card code generator tool which give a free PayPal money without any survey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles.
    Hd wallpapers for pc

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways to found MACU Routing Number .Thanks! Keep Sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up. Find How to Share Facebook Videos With People Not on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this blog is now closed but feel now I somehow stumbled upon it I had to comment how sorry I was to hear this. I remember x

    ReplyDelete