Wednesday 26 August 2009

On matters of the heart

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.

Mignon McLaughlin

The above quote is very apt. A good friend of mine is hurting pretty hard at the moment, he and the love of his life have got separate ways. He had it all, she had eased him out of his dark place, away from his demons and into a life of domestic bliss. All sunlight, good eating and weekends of civilised grace. It's all gone now. All he's left with is his thoughts, and I hope there are good people around to distract him.

We've all been through it. When someone broke my heart several years ago, I felt compelled to write about it. And looking back, the sentiment still rings pretty true. I guess it never changes.

Good cheerful stuff hey? But before you ask, its ok... you aren't intruding on any private grief or anything. Its just something I need to get out off my chest. Of course you've all been there before but here's my take on things. Will try to make it insightful and entertaining for you. Ok? Read on...

Life is like walking down the street. Watch out for the obstacles - cracks in the pavement, the women brandishing pushchairs like deadly weapons all that kind of thing. They'll leave you battered and bruised, and if you fall over head first... lacking a few teeth too! But when fate conspires against you there's no chance. One minute you're walking along minding your own business, next minute Fate appears from behind a bush to kick you in the groin very hard.


My kick was on 27th December, happy Christmas huh? My girl said it was over. She is travelling in Vietnam so I didnt really have the chance to persuade her otherwise. Damn..

Fate dealt me a good hard kick in the goolies there. Studded toecaps too for extra bruising - very nice! As I was lying on the ground in the foetal position, eyes watering slightly the sentiment struck home. 'Been feeling complacent and smug recently? Thought love would always be on the menu? Well it isnt! Here's a new recipe you'd best get used to: disillusionment, inadequacy, sprinkle with resent and allow to simmer for a while, then leave to fester. How do you like them apples?'. Fate did his job well, he left me prone at his feet, doffed his cap and wished me a cheery 'good day' before resuming on his way. Through my tears I heard his footsteps and merry whistling, on the way to change someone else's life.

And the lesson of this story is.... If someone wants to kick you in the balls, wear protection! It will lessen the blow a little!



No comments:

Post a Comment