Tuesday 6 April 2010

I've jinxed this, undoubtedly, buuuuuttt...

It looks like my season long football bet may be on again!

Back in August I put my score a score down on my annual bet. Predict four promotions/relegations, with a score at stake.

I remember it clearly. My first two teams were clear (Portsmouth to go down, West Brom to go up) and at decent odds. Rooting around for two more options, the returns were not as generous. 'Sod it', I thought, 'I'll throw caution to the wind'. So, instead of putting my 20 quid on the favourites just being promoted from League 2 and the Blue Square Premier (Notts County and Luton) I said they'd both go up as champions.

The football season has had its' usual ebbs and flows. My first two bets have been dead on all season but the second two looked way off. I lamented my greed. Why had I chased the big payout when it looked like the two teams I had backed looked likely for playoffs at best? Still, you should never gamble more than you can afford, so I shrugged it off.

However.. things have changed. My two basket case teams have since flown up their prospective leagues and both sit second! Notts County sit 5 points back with a game in hand - they play the leaders Rochdale at home before the end of the season so can effectively close the gap! They score by the truckload at home but not away. Luton have just beaten leaders Stevenage away, but are two points behind but have played a game more.

Keep your fingers crossed for me..

No comments:

Post a Comment