Tuesday 22 February 2011

Natalie Portman has really let herself go...

Black Swan Makeup
She filled out her ballet costume a little too well!

'Black Swan' was a blast. One of those opinion-polarising films which you'll either love or loathe. Needless to say, I got a real kick out of watching. Aronofsky's latest is chock full of harrowing psychodrama and body horror reminiscent of Jacob's Ladder. Once again the spotlight is on a disintegrating female lead, Portman matches Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream) in the mesmerisingly horrific mental fragmentation states. It's gruesome, and heart wrenching, but you can't take your eyes of it. I've been mulling over the plot, the acting, the symbolism etc for several days now - a sure sign it'll be on my DVD shelf sooner or later.

On a candid note, I was fascinated by the ballet scenes. Dunno if that means I could sit through a production of Swan Lake, but I have a new appreciation for the art.

Talking about art, the posters are really rather striking. I've just ordered one of the darkly Art Noveau style posters from the interweb which will be gracing the walls of my attic very soon.

If mental torment and fragmenting personalities in the world of high art don't bore you stupid, please check it out. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment