Friday 27 January 2012

Not much longer now..

Stretchmarks? I don't think she's that fussed!

Just as I think Ellen can get no larger, her abdomen grows outwards a further inch the following morning!

We're at 34ish weeks now. Her enormous bump seems gravity defying when view it every morning, one of those Mother Nature carvings made flesh. I haven't had one of those 'f**k I'm gonna be a Dad' moments yet. When we're driving our freshly minted little one home one day late Feb/ early March I'm sure reality will kick in soon enough.

The NCT classes have been eye opening. Seeing blokes as bemused as I was a reassurance. The girls wanted to learn, support each other and network, whereas us guys wanted to be down the boozer instead. Helpful stuff though, the big mystery of before and after birth has been cleared slightly, and watching a middle age woman demonstrate newborn breast feeding was something I won't forget. 3 hours learning about the ways of the bob was way too much for me, when our tutor started passing around A3 laminated pics of grimacing babies being sprayed by breast milk I could only think of one thing..

As did most of the other guys present..

Anyway, if you haven't felt the sensation of an unborn baby kicking or wriggling, it's something words cannot describe. Sometimes a gentle squeeze reveals a back, or a bottom, or a head. There's something in there, biding its time before coming out into the world to make you life as different as it can be.

I'm sure this'll be a wondrous thing. The fatherhood tales of former work colleagues used to make me cringe with horror, but right now I'm really excited as to where the journey will take us in the next few years...Nappies and baby sick excluded of course...

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment