Friday 16 March 2012

Bringing up baby

Firstly, thanks so much for the cards and well wishes. Seems to be fatigue and multiple errand running which keep me from getting in touch, it will happen, I promise.

Ok, we're two and a half weeks in now. The little bundle of confused looking poop and piddle has now become a larger, more aware bundle of poop and piddle. Isadora has passed her birth weight today and a young life of weight gain seems assured.

She pulls some wondrous expressions during her day. My particular favourite is the strained bulldog like face just before she's about to fart. And boy can she crank them out - its like Terrence and Phillip out of South Park. Of course the farting often precedes something more. She fills her nappies with a regularity which is impressive, but it's not the lake of liquid sewage I was dreading. Too be honest, with the milk diet it just looks like french mustard... and with that thought I shan't be eating french mustard again!   

Our baby continues to be a very mellow child. Normally the skittish sort, Maeve the cat sits nearby watching her scream at nappy changing time with mild interest. Isadora took the barium swallow at hospital with only the minimum of protest - would've been within her rights to scream the house down. As a sidenote a baby with a gobfull of barium reminded me of Ian Holm spitting up white stuff in Aliens.. these things come up at the funniest of times, don't they?

When she's awake, you can't help but watch her little eyes taking in the world. Mum gets an expression of total fascination (and rightfully so) whilst the rest of the world is regarded with dumb fascination. Her "Why the **** are you carrying me around? Where's mother?" expression makes my day everytime I see it. 

Anyway, that's my first meditations on living with a newborn baby. Will add more when they come to me.  

Cheers,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment