Friday 30 March 2012

The other kind of birthday..

You think he likes it?

With all the focus on the smallest member of the family, today is X's chance to be spoilt and doted upon. He turns seven today and has been the happy recipient of a large box of goodies acquired over the last few months. I myself have been scouring the stores since before xmas. It's really satisfying to see my efforts appreciated. 

As you can probably see, Lego is still the thing. Generic city or medieval sets have been replaced by something with a little more pep - in this case 'Ninjago': a sort of ninja meets Skeletor meets PG rated Mortal Kombat. Here X has just received Garmadon's Fortress and he's beside himself with joy. It's the reason I enjoy buying stuff for him, he's still young enough to be genuinely enthusiastic about stuff, not cool and aloof. When he stops getting all excited about his birthday and Xmas, I'll stop buying him stuff...

..just kidding...

Latest Baby News: little I continues to be the most rewarding creature I have ever seen. It's difficult to put into words to explain to the childless, but I just cannot get enough of every little expression, every little noise, every little gesture she makes. I guess the novelty will wear off one day, but in the meantime I'm drinking in how soft she is, her striking blue eyes, her chubby cheeks that make her look like a cross between Alfred Hitchcock and a bulldog and countless other features which just feel so right when I'm staring down at her. Of course she can only cry to get her point across, and nappy time will sometimes elicit the most heart wrenching shriek that strikes both E and myself to the core. 

Its still early days, I marvel at the number of nappies she gets through, and how warm and heavy they are when I chuck 'em in the bin. One day she will be so much more than the snuffling, pudgy little bundle she is right now. In the meantime I'm enjoying my first steps of parenthood.

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment