Saturday 20 October 2012

From the mouths of babes

Just a quick one, as my life is alot busier than it used to be.

Got a spare bit of time up in the Man Cave putting together the last reports for my kiddies at work. Yes, I write reports now. I'm that figure of authority who some kids call in hushed tones "teacher". 

They're a lovely bunch and I'm becoming attuned to their failures and successes already. I feel their pain when they're sad or unwell and their joy when something makes them happy. I've realised how I miss the flights of fancy of the young, X's frivolity has been replaced by a realism and reassurance which is beyond his years and little D is a little way from saying anything really interesting yet..

So my children are a new source of wonder. They mangle the language, revelling in the fusion of the everyday and bodily functions. However a few nuggets do sneak out, like diamonds in the coalface of childhood wisdom. My favourite was from 'B'; a lively boy with a taste for being chased around outside and dancing to the music of Michael Jackson. "Next time we go outside Alex, you have to be a zombie Michael Jackson" he told me one morning. 

Hey kids, do you really want me to chase you? 
That one will be hard to beat, but I'm sure more will come in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment