Tuesday 10 September 2013

More thoughts on the IOW

The more I think about it, the more the pros seem to add up. Being one of the eight and a half million people crammed into this part of the world feels frankly.. crowded. After a week away, you cross the Solent and feel the pace of life again. It's quicker, more frenetic. Lots of little ants scurrying around doing their duties. 

It's a shame that we need to go on holiday to draw breath and appreciate life for what it really is. Something to be enjoyed in the moment. Not a daily scrabble through the internal to-do list of life: Get up, eat, sh*t, shave go to work and repeat. There has to be a better way of living than that, surely?

Well, I might be over thoughtful, certainly. But the pull of Vectis is strong at the moment. It feels a right time to take the step. To gather our stuff and take it somewhere special. Here is where E and I differ on our possessions, I can offload things with miminal hassle. Being well travelled, she puts a lot more stock in her belongs and what they mean to her. I resist the temptation to bully her into clearing her CD collection and selling it on Music Magpie ('You don't listen to them anymore!' I would say. 'They'd raise plenty of cash for our move too!') I've learnt her thinking is less linear than my own. We get to the same decisions though, E in a slightly more circuitous manner than myself!

I plan to break the news to Mum today, I've been dreading that. Most people could deal with a train and ferry crossing to visit family, a couple of hours, max. She sometimes struggles to drive 10 miles up to see us. Her reaction will be, how can I put it? Interesting...

In other news a very good friend (J) lost his girlfriend of 7 years last month. I've been meaning to note down my thoughts on this for a while. We met up in town the day day before she passed away and my friend seemed so contented. It seemed that she completed him, and following a tipsy phone conversation with his missus, I discovered how much he completed her.  I don't think my buddy reads this, but on the off- chance he does, I'd like to say how he's not far from my thoughts. J and I go back twenty years and I've seen him grow. We've shared good times and I was so thrilled he could be at our wedding day this summer. When your family appears and you settle down, there isn't the time to dedicate to friends. They get less attention than they deserve which is such a  shame. 

That's why I write this blog, frankly. So I can let you know what's going on. I feel privileged when I hear how much satisfaction you readers get when you tell me (you know who you are!) Pity there isn't a similar window on your lives too. And no, I don't count facebook - that insidious ad-fest tells me nothing of insight -  only the domestic travails of acquaintances and the fact that I need to buy an I-Phone. Not interested..

Anyway, that's enough from me. On a lighter note, I'll need to rename the blog. The Man Cave is now more and a new adventure awaits. Any ideas?

A.

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment