Wednesday 10 February 2010

My Muse

Its funny what people can do to you.

I've worked for The Man for nearly 4 years now (!?!?!). In my work life Ive come across alot of people. Some I've liked, some I haven't, some have left me feeling indifferent, some whose company I have enjoyed. Just one has had a real, lasting affect on me. Dan is a lad in his late twenties, he has a geezer about town swagger which belies a discerning soft centre. He is the only person who has made me cry with laughter at work. I remember the moment well, Dan had been out for a couple of beers one lunchtime and was in an incredibly playful mood. I just broke with his banter, fell to my knees and just couldnt contain the tears and snorts of laughter.

I seem to bring something out in him. He is a model employee in my absense, but turns into a comedy twitching, slavering lech when I am present. Imagine Danny Dyer meets Dorian Gray - the swagger is there, all tied in with a certain racy joie de vivre. He gleefully explains in a booming voice his admiration for certain cultural figures ranging from the Marquis De Sade to Ron Jeremy across the whole office. This is a guy who accidentally left a message on a woman's answerphone about smoking dope (in a joke conversation, mind), he got called up to the Boss Lady.. and got off with just a slapped wrist. Dan is our office golden boy here, and makes the most of it. He's a ray of lascivious sunshine amongst all the clouds of grousing and moaning.

He's not a 2D cardboard cutout South London lad about town, though. Dan has some deeper touches that make him stand out from the crowd. He is a profound dude who has a taste for the some of the spiritual things in life too and obviously dotes over his family. This is all surrounded by a tough outer layer but makes him the distinctive human being he is.

The funny thing is how much he has rubbed off on me. The playful, saucy side of me gets an airing alot more often than it used to - which is liberating but can also get one into trouble..

But that's a story for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment