Thursday 17 June 2010

Righto, time for a proper post.

I was inspired by a nighttime trawl through facebook to write something a little more worthwhile. More than just my football musings, that is.

As a rule, I dont bother facebook, and facebook doesnt bother me. If it wasnt for the people in far flung places, my account would've been long dead. From time to time I do have a trawl, sifting through the silt of inane chatter and unmade social arrangements looking for a diamond or two. The social networking buzz has long since passed, but I do get a kick from seeing how life has treated people in my past. The smooth, creamy faces of yore are now squinty and more wrinkled. There are people engaged who I never thought would be engaged, whilst others are leading lives which I couldn't imagine when I knew them. Makes me thrilled to know life is treating some people well.

Some people are still the same as they always were. Tom still makes the same droll comments which make me chuckle, as he always has. Like Oscar Wilde in a cantankerous, brassy wrapping. However, I'm feeling slightly low today. It seems that bonds of friendship are loosening and coming away when once they were strong. For some this is for positive reasons. My friend Steve, for instance, is going off to Belgium to live with an old flame. She appreciates his full worth now, it seems. This is a guy who has been desperate to give something back to the world over the past few years that I can only be happy for him, despite the fact he is no longer near... free room and board on a European holiday destination though :)

For others, life gets in the way, it seems. I can appreciate that, but it's still hard when you drift away from someone you once had a close rapport with.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment