Sunday 14 July 2013

Asteroids dreams and what you do to your kids.

As a rule, I don't remember my dreams any more. That was until a couple of nights ago:

I am out in central London with a group of friends. We see a meteor flaming across the sky which impacts the ground nearby. The ground shakes and angry grey clouds start streaming in our direction. I remember feeling underwhelmed at this and slowly walk in the opposite direction to escape. Trouble is, another meteor appears in the sky and my demise seems covered from both directions! Once again, I am not too bothered at this and wake up soon after.

The dream dictionaries have an interesting take on what an 'asteroid' signifies. It's all symbolic, like something out of a David Lynch movie apparently. Dreammoods.com reckons: 

To see an asteroid in your dream represents a spiritual message from above.  You are about to be enlightened with some knowledge. Alternatively, it signifies a brainstorming of ideas and thoughts.  If the asteroid hits the earth, then it indicates that your idealistic notions are deteriorating or being shattered apart 
 Do I have an epiphany coming? Heck, do I have two epiphanies coming!??

In home news I realise that saying things to my kids for sh*ts and giggles can be counter-productive. I often ask X to do favours for me which he does willingly. Often though I offer him my 'love and respect' as payment. He is a fan of the tangible things in life and is seldom impressed by such an offer. On our walk in to school one morning I grab him one of those mini yogurt drinks for the journey. I tell him I have a surprise as we go out the door:
X: Is it a yogurt drink.... [pauses thoughtfully and adds] or your love and respect?
Me: Which one would you prefer?
X: The yogurt drink.

Either I am winding X up a little too much of late or I've devalued my affections in his mind. It makes me more mindful of how a parent can mess up their kids if they don't tread carefully. I'll try to be more mindful in future!

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment