Wednesday 31 July 2013

More musings on being 'dad' and what I do.

Rushing off the chocolate ice-cream...seriously

17 months on and living with D is getting easier. More draining and chaotic, yes - but easier nonetheless. I remember in the earliest days after she arrived home from the hospital, wearily standing over her slumbering form like it was an unexploded bomb. Diz suffered from colic badly when tiny and most nights would howl herself into exhausted sleep about midnight. I'd be afraid that stepping on the wrong floorboard would be enough to trigger her but thankfully slumber proved to be deep. Most of the time that is..

Nowadays she is more little girl than wild animal. She laughs, stacks blocks and draws like the best of them. She sings and dances and does all those things that make Mum and Dad love her more than anything else in the world. Seriously, those who don't have kids will be stunned at the depth of affection that your own little ones draw from you. I certainly was, and continue to be till this day...

Meanwhile at work, I'll be losing the older kids to their schools at the start of September. I'll really miss them. I marvel at childrens' authenticity which is a pleasure compared to some jaded adult company you will encounter. After working in an office where women would spend most of the day moaning and eating snacks I have no regrets in what I do. The most challenging facet of working with my kids is negotiating with them fairly. It'd be easy to tell them to 'shut up!' or 'do as your told!' but I'd be doing none of us any favours. 

Would be out of a job sharpish too, I reckon!

A.


No comments:

Post a Comment