Friday 20 June 2014

You give England another chance and look what happens?

England 1 Uruguay 2. Depressingly familiar result.

I no longer feel distraught when our national football team is defeated, only a gnawing sense of delusion and disappointment.

I watched the game with E with no expectations, but felt my hope rising slightly when England strung some passes together in the first half. 'You never know', I thought, 'we could pull off a result.' Looking back now, it's amazing I still care after all the mediocrity and false dawns. The team could certainly be marked 'A' for effort. They sweated and toiled honourably as you'd expect good Englishmen to do. Where was the class though? Where was the swift passing  which would give one of our forwards space to do something special??? Everytime Sterling received the ball somewhere dangerous it seemed he would stop, giving the Uruguayans a chance to catch up!! Long gone are the days when a Gazza or a Hoddle (or even a McManaman!!?) could look up and knock a 40 yard cross field ball for a forward to run onto. I realised today that it has been 18 years for me since the word 'sublime' could be attached to the England football team. Gazza's goal against Scotland still makes my hair the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.. as does the brilliant team goal against Holland. Nowadays watching the Three Lions play just makes me feel numb.. and a little depressed....

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment