Wednesday 9 March 2011

Plasmas and Hamster Wheels

Gyms? I hate 'em!

Only remembered this last night when I took a friend for a powerplate session at the shiny David Lloyd centre in Kingston. Ever since I cancelled my membership at the cheapo council gym a couple of years back, exercise has been distinctly lo-tec.

So my reaction wasn't wholly unexpected. I felt that uneasy discomfort and slight disdain for the row upon row of step and running machines. People marching away furiously upon them and getting nowhere, some with mobile phones clamped between shoulder and ear, others with eyes focused on the array of TV screens arranged high in front of them. In an idle moment I've often thought: 'How much electricity could all these gym bunnies produce?' You could probably power the lucosade vending machines by yummy mummy legpower alone...

Makes no sense to me. I always thought exercise was about escaping the appliances you spend your life surrounded by. Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment